We have entered an unprecedented period in which e-learning has moved from an option that was "nice to have" to a "necessity". This period is creating a new landscape for educators, parents, and learners. Many companies, individuals, and organizations are offering a plethora of free e-learning resources for K-12 students to encourage and support distance learning. Resources that go above and beyond for e-learning are marked with a star (☆).
We know we've missed great resources! If you have any you'd like us to update this list with, please leave a comment or reach out to us via the Contact Us page! Thanks!
• Age of Learning (Preschool - 8th Grade)
• Amazon's Future Engineer, free computer science options (Grades 2 - 12)
• American Panorama, visualize data through maps
• Arcademics (Grades 1 - 6), Free Math, Spelling, Geography web-browser games
• Babbel, learn a new language (K - College) Currently free for 3 months.
• Bark (For Students & Parents), Introduction to safe e-learning and online practices
• Big Universe (Grades K - 12), 17,000 eBooks in a variety of topics
• Boolean Girl (Ages 8 - 18), learn to code! STEM.
• Bunk (Grades 8 - 12), History-based, thoughtful articles about world events
• Chalk Academy, Multi-lingual learning resources (Primarily Chinese/Korean)
• Classroom Cereal, Grammar practice worksheets
☆ Curriki (Grades K - 12), Resources in Math, Science, Language Arts, & more!
☆ Data Nuggets (Grades K - 12+), scientist based data and research in a variety of areas
• Discovery K12 (Grades K - 12), 16,000 lessons, eBooks, Quizzes & Tests in all standard subjects
• Dr. Roger's Math Neighborhood (Grades 8 - 12) Advanced math explanation videos
• Educational Insights (Grades K - 6), Reading/Language Arts worksheets
• Education Modified, resources for special needs students (Spanish version available)
• Exploratorium, Covid-19 science learning
• Great Minds (Grades K - 12), instructional videos in Math, Language Arts, Science
• Hand2Mind (Grades K - 8), Math activities
• HippoCampus (Grades 8 - 12), 7,000 videos in 13 areas
☆ Khan Academy (Grades Pre-K - 12), Videos on a variety of subjects (ELA reading included)
• Legends of Learning, standards aligned Math & Science games
• Learning Resources (Grades K - 3), Inspire playful learning
• Loving2Read (Ages Pre-K - 8), adventures for kids in Science, STEM, Math, and more
• National Constitution Center (Grades 6 - 12), eight-week series of interactive, daily courses
• OpenStax (Grades 8 - 12) Opensource textbooks in Math, Science, Social Sciences, & More
• PandaTree (Ages 2 - 10), daily Story Time in Spanish & Chinese
☆ Phet (Grades 6 - 12), Over 650 million free simulations in Physics, Math, Chemisty, & more
☆ ProjectExplorer (Grade 3 - 12), 250+ Free Videos/Lesson Plans
• Scholastic Learn at Home (Grades K - 9)
• Smithsonian Distance Learning (Grades Pre-K - 12), expansive collection on a variety of topics
• Sophia (Grades 9 - 12), take courses for college credit! Currently free until 7/31/2020
• Virtual field Trips (Grades K - 12), destination-based videos for Social Studies, Geography, Etc!
• Walkabouts (Grades Pre-K - 2), Integrates movement with Math, Reading, & Language Arts
The above listed resources are fantastic, free, and available for anyone with an internet connection. Just the same, there are also a multitude of learning experiences that can be had outside of the traditional classroom. Bake a cake with your child. Take apart an engine. Collect chicken eggs or milk a cow. Build a Lego fort. Have a conversation about current events. Think outside the box. Here's a thought to leave you with:
"Support education in all its forms. Overcome the bias of the cookie-cutter approach to education which presupposes that all worthwhile knowledge can only be attained from a traditional setting. Challenge the idea that school is the only place to get a worthwhile education."
- Mike Rowe, 2017